NORTHERN CALIFORNIA EMPLOYMENT LAW ATTORNEYS REPRESENTING EMPLOYEES FROM ALL BACKGROUNDS
The average American spends approximately one-third of their entire life at work. While most of us think quite a bit about our home lives, we don’t often consider our time at work and what that can mean for our quality of life. If you have ever experienced a hard, or even toxic, workplace environment, you understand this on a deep level; our work lives are just as important as our home lives. We believe that earning a living should be a life-enhancing — not a life-draining — experience.
The law grants employees important rights to ensure that they are not taken advantage of, but when your employment rights have been violated, it can be hard to know what to do next. It can even be hard to know if your feelings of having been discriminated against are valid. Some violations, such as blatant discrimination based upon sex or race, can be fairly obvious, while others can be more difficult to identify, understand and combat.
We Take Employees’ Rights Seriously
At Perkins Asbill, we represent clients in a variety of workplace discrimination cases:
- Sexual harassment occurs when a person of power, whether that be a manager or supervisor, promises of a raise or promotion in exchange for sexual favors or unwanted sexual advances which are severe, pervasive, and inhibits one’s ability to complete their work.
While the first line of defense should always be your employer’s human resources department, there are times when the employer is unwilling to act upon sexual harassment claims from their employees. If this is the case for you, an attorney can help protect your rights and pursue legal action to stop the harassment.
- Employment discrimination includes any type of discrimination based on one’s race, ethnicity, country of origin, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation or gender expression. This may also include violations of an employees’ rights under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and California’s equivalent law.
Whether you are seeking financial compensation, personal vindication, or simply to ensure this type of discrimination does not happen to others in the future, an attorney can assist you in clarifying your goals and evaluating the potential benefits and costs of filing an employment discrimination lawsuit.
- Wrongful termination and retaliation happen when an employee is fired unfairly because they reported the unlawful behavior of a co-worker, manager, or owner of the company, filed a workers’ compensation claim, reported sexual harassment or other workplace misconduct, or testified in a sexual harassment investigation.
- “Whistleblower” claims may be brought against an employer by an employee who is wrongly fired because they reported misconduct, acted as a witness in a company investigation, or cooperated with such an investigation.
An employee does not need to prove that the employer actually committed misconduct, only that the employee was punished because the employee reported suspicious activity. An attorney can help present the evidence necessary to show this direct link.
- Wage and hour disputes involve employees who are lodging a complaint against their employer due to unpaid wages, unpaid overtime, failure to provide adequate and lawful meal times and work breaks, or minimum wage violations.
In a successful claim against an employer, an employee may be entitled to receive the fair wages previously denied, additional monies in the form of penalties and interest paid by the employer, and even accrued legal fees. An employment law attorney can help decide upon a course of action that is most likely to produce the desired results in a timely and cost-effective manner.
I’ve experienced workplace discrimination. What do I do next?
The first thing to do, if you believe your employment rights have been violated, is to consult with an experienced employment law attorney. We recommend that you do your research and make sure that the attorney you choose is knowledgeable and experienced in this area of the law.
At Perkins Asbill, we are passionate about fighting for the rights of employees regardless of their job title or industry in which they are/were employed. As a comprehensive employment law practice, we represent employees dealing with all sorts of legal issues, including sexual harassment, wrongful termination, whistleblower claims and wage disputes.
Our attorneys have successfully represented employees in high-stake cases — prevailing against powerful corporate employers and sending a strong message to employers that we will not hesitate to go the extra mile on behalf of employees who have been wronged.
To schedule a consultation with a skilled and experienced employment attorney, call (916) 446-2000 or fill out our online request form.
Employment Lawyers In Sacramento, California
Perkins Asbill, A Professional Law Corporation is located at 707 Commons Dr #201, Sacramento, CA 95825, United States. From Sacramento International Airport get on I-5 S from Aviation Dr and Airport Blvd. Follow I-5 S and US-50 E to Howe Ave in Sacramento. Afterward, take exit 9 from US-50 E. Continue on Howe Ave to your destination. Use the left 2 lanes to turn left onto Howe Ave and then turn left onto University Ave and turn left again. Turn right and [Perkins Asbill, A Professional Law Corporation] will be on your left.
We are open Monday – Friday 9AM – 5PM.
For additional questions you can call us at +19164462000 or find us on Yelp